Skip navigation

Finding Aid to the Tissue Culture Association records

The University of Maryland, Baltimore County
The Albin O. Kuhn Library & Gallery
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, Maryland 21250
speccoll@umbc.edu

Tissue Culture Association records, 1946-1986
Collection 16
Size of Collection: 26,300 items, 40 linear feet
Accession numbers: SARCV 1990-01; SARCV 1991-01
Records collected by: Tissue Culture Association

Short Description of Collection

The Tissue Culture Association (TCA) was founded on November 13, 1946 in Hershey, Pennsylvania and incorporated in the District of Columbia in 1964. Initially called the Tissue Culture Commission, the organization’s aims were twofold: to prepare media needed by workers in the field and make them available at a reasonable cost and to publish a bibliographic index of tissue culture methods. Early on TCA began offering methods based classes intended to provide training for those working in labs across the country. This education program became so successful that by 1971 the W. Alton Cell Science Center was opened as a permanent home for TCA’s educational programs. In addition to the popular Index, the organization published a journal, In Vitro, a newsletter, and a variety of publications related to their educational programs and interests. In 1994 the membership voted to change the name of the organization to the Society for In Vitro Biology. The collection is organized into eight series: President, Secretary, Treasurer, Business Office, Committees, Branches and Divisions, Meetings, and Publications.



Have Questions?
Ask a Librarian

Tissue Culture Association

Main Page

Historical Note

Scope and Content Note

Organization and Provenance Information

Series Descriptions and Container List

Print version PDF