UMBC Records Management Program
Special Collections Archivist
The UMBC Policy on Records Management is the final product of a two year development process intended to bring the campus into compliance with the USM Policy on Records Management which directs each campus to establish a Records Management Program.
It is intended to set in place a campus wide system that will ensure the permanent retention of the important records of the University, and the timely destruction of those records for which the legal requirements have been met.
This policy will assist departments and offices in knowing which documents to preserve for their continuing value in providing evidence of the functions, operations, and activities of the institution and what to destroy thereby supporting the important work of preserving the strategic body of documents necessary for the continuity of this institutionís history and the maintenance of its identity.
To assist you in this process we have provided information on how to simplify the records management process, what to weed routinely, and how to send records to the University Archives:
- UMBC Policy on Records Management [opens as a pdf]
- Collecting Policy for the University Archives
- General Records Management Tips
- Guidelines for Weeding
- Transfer Procedures
- Archives Transmittal Form (requires a valid UMBC Login)
- Records management information session handout, May 28, 2009
Maryland State records resources
- Maryland State Archives
- Maryland Public Information Act
- Access to government records under the Maryland Public Information Act (PIA)
- To file a UMBC MPIA request, please contact Bobbie Hoye in the campus Legal Office at email@example.com or 410-455-2870.