Printing, Copying & Scanning
Add value to existing card account with $1, $5, $10, and $20 bills.
Visitors may buy a campus guest card for $1 bill only -- no coins (50¢ print value).Location:
- Retriever Learning Center (RLC) on 1st floor
- Print, Copy, Scan area on 1st floor
Printing from UMBC Workstations
Printing is available on all floors of the Library from our more than 200 PCs and Macs. After sending your file to the printer, go to one of the self-service Pay-for-Print stations to pay for and generate the print. There are three Pay-for-Print stations in the 1st floor Print & Copy center (between the Reference Desk and the Writing Center), one on the 2nd and 7th floors, and one in the RLC.
NOTE: Printing is not available from Linux.
Changing from Duplex (Two-Sided) to Simplex (One-Sided) Printing
- Click on the Windows Button
- Click on 'Devices and Printers'
- Right Click on 'LibraryPrinter on pharosnew'
- Click Printing Preferences
- The default will be set to 'Two-sided (Duplex) Printing'
- Change this to 'General Everyday Printing'
- Click OK to apply your changes and close the Printing Preferences window
- Your prints will now be in simplex mode
REMEMBER: When you log out the defaults will be reverted to Duplex mode.
ALSO: The charge is per-side-of-page-printed, so the same print job will cost exactly the same in duplex as it does in simplex.
Checking Your Print Mode
- At the Print Station (1st floor, 2nd floor, RLC, or on the 7th floor):
- Log in and swipe your card.
- Your available print jobs will be listed.
- Select your print job.
- Before your print it, at the bottom of the page, the number of pages to be printed and the charge will be listed.
- If your job is a 5 page Word document in duplex, it will report 3 pages to be printed at a charge of $0.50.
- If your job is the same 5 page Word document in simplex, it will now report 5 pages to be printed at a charge of $0.50.
Printing is available from laptop computers now with the installation of the
Library Wireless package. In downloading and installing this package you agree
that you are in no way holding the library responsible for anything that
may happen as a result of the install. Currently only 32-bit and 64-bit Windows operating systems are supported, including Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7. Apple/Macintosh notebooks are not supported.
NOTE: If you have previously installed the wireless printing client BEFORE October 2012 you will need to uninstall the printing client (it's called "Pharos" on the Programs and Features page) and then reinstall using one of the packages below. This is required to print to the new color printer in the Print & Copy center as well as the new 24-hour RLC printer.32-bit Library Wireless Printing Client
64-bit Library Wireless Printing Client
You must be connected to the "UMBC Campus" Network to print from wireless.
After installing the client, you may need to restart. After doing so when printing select the Library Printer on PHAROSNEW for Black and White or Library Color on PHAROSNEW for Color printing, and print as normal. At this point you will get a pop-up asking for your UMBC ID, which is the name you use to login to myUMBC. After this it will send the file to the printer, and you can go to one of the self-service Pay-for-Print stations to pay for and generate the print.
Troubleshooting! If you have an error message saying you can not connect to PHAROSNEW, please do the following:
- Make sure you are connected to the wireless network UMBC Campus
- Add the following line to the file C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. PLEASE NOTE that there is a TAB between the 98 and PHAROSNEW
- 126.96.36.199 PHAROSNEW
Picking Up Your Print OutsPrint stations are located:
- in the 1st floor Print & Copy center (between the Reference Desk and the Writing Center)
- on the 7th floor of the library
- $0.10 per page on the black & white printers
- $0.70 per page on the color printer
Cash is not accepted for print jobs. Only the UMBC Campus Card or a UMBC guest card can be used for payment. Guest Cards may be purchased for $1 (dollar bill only - 50¢ print value) and value added to existing cards (from cash - bills only) in the Retriever Learning Center. UMBC Students, Faculty and Staff can add value with a credit card under the "Personal" tab using the MyUMBC portal.
Copiers accept only the UMBC Campus Card or campus guest card at 10¢ per copy.Locations:
- Print & Copy center on 1st floor
- West wing of 2nd floor (Serials)
- East wing of 2nd floor (Serials)
- On the 7th floor of the library at the print station.
Copiers do not accept cash. Only the UMBC Campus Card or a UMBC guest card can be used for payment. Guest Cards may be purchased for $1 (dollar bill only - 50¢ print value) and value added to existing cards (from cash - bills only) in the Retriever Learning Center.
The Ricoh printers also function as copiers using the UMBC Campus Card
The library currently has 4 free, self-service scanners in the Reference Department. Please sign up at the Reference Desk before using these scanners. There are also 4 scanners in the Mac area on the 2nd floor near Serials.Features:
- Scan color or black & white images in multiple formats (.jpg, .gif)
- Scan text in rich text (.rtf) or .pdf formats
- Simple instructions available at each scanner -- no experience necessary
- Save file to CD or flash drive; email it; print it.
Microfilm Scanning - Room 216
Important: This station cannot scan non-microfilm media.
In addition to the standard microfilm scanners we have two digital microfilm scanning stations (a ScanPro 3000 Scanner and a Canon 300 Microfilm Scanner) located on the second floor to the right of the Serials desk. These station have email and printing capabilities as well as the option to save your microfilm scans to a USB flash drive.
The station uses Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 and Adobe Acrobat 8 Standard for scanning and editing.