Computers & Software
There are about 190 workstations in the Library distributed on floors 1-7. They have the same basic set of software installed as the campus OIT labs. No additional software can be downloaded or installed. Additional hardware and exceptions are noted below.
Public access PCs
- Located on floors 1-7: Find an available computer
- Floors 1-6 PCs have the faster booting Slim image.
- Floor 7 PCs have the full Lab image.
- CD-RW/DVD+/-R drives
- USB ports
- Dual boot to either Windows 7 or Linux (Red Hat)
- Linux Software
- 40 machines located on the 2nd floor of the library
- 30 machines located on the 7th floor of the library
- One FireWire 800 port; 7 watts
- Four USB 2.0 ports
- SDXC card slot
- Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive with 4x double-layer burning (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
- iMac Software
- NOTE: Desktone virtualization software is also available on the iMacs, More information is available here
Digital Media Lab
- 4 27" iMacs
- A variety of audio/video recording equipment
- Adobe reative Suite
- Final Cut Pro
- Large format flatbed scanner
- More Information
- 4 PC scanners located in the Reference printing/copying area on the 1st floor
- 4 Mac scanners located on the 2nd floor near Serials
Assistive Technology - Room 121 and Room 122 and Room 455(Additional Information)
- Jaws 9.0
- Kurzweil 3000
- Telesensory VersiColor-XL-CCD (text enlarger)
- ZoomText 9.1
The first floor has 1 computer table and 1 study table that are handicap accessible. Talk to Library staff for help locating or using these facilities.
- Printing is available from all public workstations in the library. Printers and copiers are located on the 1st, 2nd, and 7th floors as well as in the RLC.
See Printing, Copying & Scanning for more information.
Changing from Duplex (Two-Sided) to Simplex (One-Sided) Printing
- Go to Start -> Printers and Faxes
- Right Click on 'LibraryPrinter on pharosnew'
- Click Printer Properties
- Click Printing Preferences
- The default will be set to 'Two-sided (Duplex) Printing'
- Change this to 'General Everyday Printing'
- Click OK to apply your changes and close the Printing Preferences window
- Click OK to close the Properties windows
- Your prints will now be in simplex mode
REMEMBER: When you log out the defaults will be reverted to Duplex mode.
ALSO: The charge is per-side-of-page-printed, so the same print job will cost exactly the same in duplex as it does in simplex.
Checking Your Print Mode
- At the Print Station in the Photocopy Room (or on the 7th floor):
- Log in and swipe your card.
- Your available print jobs will be listed.
- Select your print job.
- Before your print it, at the bottom of the page, the number of pages to be printed and the charge will be listed.
- If your job is a 5 page Word document in duplex, it will report 3 pages to be printed at a charge of $0.50.
- If your job is the same 5 page Word document in simplex, it will now report 5 pages to be printed at a charge of $0.50.