Individuals who require assistive technology have access to Rooms 121 and 122. Admission is available by requesting access at the Reference or Circulation Desks during regular library hours. The rooms remain locked when not in use. Persons using the rooms should notify personnel at the Circulation or Reference Desks when they have finished.
The computer workstations require a UMBC account or a Library Guest account. They are loaded with all software as other UMBC student lab computers plus the following special assistive technology software:
- Jaws 7.1. This software reads screen displays, including web pages. Headphones are provided to listen to the audio output.
- Kurzweil 3000. There are two versions of this software: the one in room 122 allows scanning, manipulating, and reading of scanned materials; the one in room 121 reads scanned materials only.
- ZoomText 9. This software opens automatically once the computer is logged into. Two versions are provided: the one in room 122 offers both magnification and reading of materials; the one in room 121 has the reading function only.
- Each room is equipped with an Epson Perfection V350 scanner.
Magnifiers and Text-to-Speech
- Room 121 features an Optelec Clearview+ Speech which has both magnification and text-to-speech functionality
- Room 122 features a SmartView Xtend video magnifier
- Room 122 has an audio cassette player designed for assistive technology uses.
- WizCom ReadingPens (portable text-to-speech devices) are available for checkout at the circulation desk.