Why Use WorldCat UMBC?
- A truly thorough search for ALL relevant materials on a research topic MUST include a search of WorldCat UMBC.
- See more search results from a single search, on average, than in any other catalog or database.
- Find both book and article citations together in a single search.
- Article citations from these indexes and abstracting databases
(Journal articles are NOT FOUND THROUGH catalogUSMAI nor through the UMBC Library Catalog) will appear after book citations:
- ArticleFirst - multidisciplinary index covering 16,000 journals, 1990-; no full text
- Catalog of Art Museum Images Online
- Electronic Books
- Electronic Collections Online
- ERIC - articles in Education
- MEDLINE - medical research
- WorldCat Dissertations and Theses
- Find citations to materials in thousands of libraries around the world, and in many cases paths to online full text materials, including images, video, and audio recordings.
- Also, find materials from these key sources:
- Hathi Trust materials (NOT FOUND THROUGH catalogUSMAI nor through the UMBC Library Catalog) - many full text materials, images, etc.
- USA Federal documents
- USA State documents
- Link quickly from citations to items for which UMBC has online access
- Search results are organized to appear in this order:
- Books, then articles and other formats, owned by UMBC (paper and ebooks)
- Books, then articles and other formats, owned by the University System of MD and affiliated
institutions (Morgan State University and St. Mary's College of MD)
(you can request - immediately, online, from the citation - delivery to you at UMBC)
- Books, then articles and other formats, from other MD libraries (you can request thru Interlibrary Loan) and e-materials available free online (e.g. from Hathi trust)
- Books, then articles and other formats, from other libraries in the USA and around the world
- Easily limit your searches using a clickable menu to select:
- Full text articles only
- eBooks or Books only; other formats, such as DVD
- By Year (e.g. items published in 2008)
- By Language
- By Topic, i.e. broad subject area, for example "Business & Economics"
- ...and others; these limiters allow you to refine a search more quickly than in other catalogs.
Also see our WorldCat UMBC Video Tutorial
Looking for something else? Try one of these other resouces:
- catalogUSMAI - find books, journals, CDs, and DVDs at UMBC and other institutions in the University System of Maryland and affiliated institutions (Morgan State University and St. Mary's College of MD)
- UMBC Library Catalog - use this subset of catalogUSMAI to find only the items available at UMBC (not the other 15 libraries in the USMAI), including items in our Special Collections.
- Searching for journal articles: While you can find some journal articles using WorldCat UMBC, more in-depth searches often require the use of article databases. Please see our subject guides for assistance selecting relevant article databases.
- UMBC Special Collections materials: Some items in our Special Collections cannot be reached from the above catalogs nor from indexes; go to the Special Collections web pages for more information.