Library Liaisons Information
and order approval list materials through Yankee Book Peddler's GOBI System
For simplified instructions
The Basics: Ordering approval titles in GOBI:
- Yankee Book Peddler is UMBC's approval vendor, and their online selection and ordering system is called GOBI.
- Library liaisons from academic departments and programs are assigned usernames and passwords to order materials through GOBI.
- Open your GOBI account using the account number 7543 and the login and password. Please contact the Collection Management Librarian if you
- You should receive an email notification of a waiting list, every Saturday morning. If you aren’t receiving this list please let me know.
- You can access your lists by following the link to GOBI and logging in, or going directly to the website http://www.gobi3.com
- Instructions for accessing your lists and managing them are below.
Ordering from the weekly YBP GOBI email Notifications:
- Click on the link in the YBP notifications email
- At the GOBI login page use the user name and password you've been given. The Account number is 7543.
- The title list will either open directly to the list or it may open in the Notifications tab (which may happen if you are a selector for another department as well)
- If it opens to the Notification tab click on the most recent list (they are listed by date)
- If the list opens directly you will see your department name listed, with the list date and # of items in the list.
- At the far right, in the light blue area, you will see a drop down box. Select “Full-entire list”. This will allow you to see table of contents, book jacket, and if there are other versions of the title.
- A box will appear around each title as you view it.
- Hover over the vertical area to the left of the title and you will see a light gray bar appear.
- Click on it once if you want to choose the book for purchase. (click again to de-select)
- A highlighted “Already owned by the library” will appear in the lower left corner of the box if it already is owned at UMBC.
- Click on the ISBN link to see if the title is owned within the USMAI. (ex.: ISBN 9780226470962)
- To the far right of the title will be the links to the tables of contents, book jackets and alternate editions) Click on the link to see that information. Alternate editions that are e-books may be previewed for 10 minutes. (ignore the note “slip sent (date)”)
- We’re not purchasing individual e-books quite yet, it’s more complicated due to licensing issues and the amount of time it takes to get the book. (But do talk to me if you absolutely must have it in electronic format and we’ll see what we can do. We hope to be purchasing more e-books in the near future.)
- If you want all the titles just click on Mark All in the column to the far left.
- Click GobiExpress to select chosen titles.
- Click Select.
- Click on the drop down arrow for Choose Template and select your department.
- Click select (in the lower right corner)
Changing the display:
- go to the right hand drop down box that says "single-entire list" to change the display to “full-entire list"
- “single-entire list” can be handy if you just want to scan down through the titles.
- mark the ones that look interesting, then change the display to full to see the rest of the information.
- the ones you marked will still be marked.
Managing your GOBI Lists
As mentioned above you have access to automatically created title lists two ways:
- through the e-notifications you receive on Saturdays
- or by directly logging into the GOBI system and clicking on the Notifications tab and selecting the list you want to review.
To review older enotification lists:
- click on Notifications
- under Saved Notifications you'll see the last two dated email lists
- click on More you'll see previous lists
- click on the links to see the lists
You can also create a list of your own by doing a search for
subjects, titles, authors, isbns using one of the Search boxes.
A list may contain a single item from a Quick search or multiple items from a notification or a subject search.
Here are several ways you can manage your lists:
- Create and name folder(s) of titles you’ve ordered, or that your colleagues might be interested in (such as FY12)
- Add titles to an existing folder
- Email a title to a colleague to see if they want you to order it
- Send a list of all the titles in your e-notifications to you colleagues
- Save a list to disk
- Order a title or titles
To create folders for titles:
- Decide what titles you would like to go into a folder , even if it’s just one item
- If you want to add all the titles on the list click on “Mark All”, in the vertical white rectangle on the left side of the screen.
- If you want to add individual titles click in the vertical column just to the left of the title, which will turn dark blue.
- Once you have selected the titles you want to add click on “Add to Folder”.
- You can add these titles to an existing folder you have already created, or you can create a new folder.
- You can create as many folders as you need.
- A box will open and you'll be given the option of adding to an existing folder (click on the drop down arrow) or creating a new folder (click on the radio button next to "A new folder named" and name the folder (and date it!)
- Remember to click the bottom right corner, add to folder!
- If you will be adding new titles to a folder from time to time you may want to name it something general such as “titles ordered for fall 2010” or “titles to review for fall 2010”. Or you may want to name folders for specific folks “books Bob Smith might be interested in”
- Choose the type of folder you would like it to be. Personal means only you can see it (unless you send it to someone) Shared means any of the other liaisons can see it. It’s up to you.
- A little folder icon will appear to the left of the title so you will know you’ve added it.
- Save title lists to a folder before or after you GobiExpress the titles
- mark the titles you want to order and click on GobiExpress, click select
- in the pop up box click on the "retain marked status" radio button (under list action) before Selecting them for ordering
- Once the submission has gone through you will be returned to the list of titles, and can now save the same group of titles to a folder since they are already marked.
NOTE: --The titles you selected will remain in GOBI for a brief time and then, as they are ordered by Acquisitions, will be removed from the main list.
-- So, if you think you're going to want to keep a folder list of what you order, do it at the time you order the titles. The titles won't disappear from your created folder, only the main list.
To email a title, list or folder:
- To email a title click on the white vertical area to the left of the title and it will turn blue. (You can select as many titles as you want to send)
- Click on the Email icon in the left hand column
- In the recipients box add email addresses. You can also add a message and subject line. In addition you can have the bibliographic information show in brief or full. You can also “retain or remove the marked status”.
- Click the email icon in the lower right corner.
- To email a folder (or a portion of the folder), click on the folders tab and select the folder you’d like to send; it will open and list the titles you have saved.
- If you want to send the entire folder click on the Mark all icon. If you want to send certain titles just select them.
- Click on the Email icon in the left hand column.
- In the recipients box add email addresses. You can also add a message and subject line. In addition you can have the bibliographic information show in brief or full. You can also retain or remove the marked status.
- Click the email icon in the lower right corner.
- To email your weekly notifications list to others
- Open the list
- Click on Mark All
To save a list to disk:
- Open the list, mark the titles you want, click on the Save to Disk icon
- Select the file type and size of record (and if you want to retain or remove marked status) and click on the Save to Disk icon.
And of course:
To just order a title or list of titles:
- Select the title(s)
- Click GobiExpress
- Click Select
- Review the information
- Click Select