OCLC Reciprocal Faculty Borrowing Program (RFBP)
The RFBP is administered by OCLC
, and allows university faculty borrowing
privileges at 157+ universities across the country. Prominent members in our
area include Georgetown, Howard, American, and University of Delaware. Other RFBP participants.
Special Note: Johns Hopkins participation in the RFBP program is limited to providing access to the building and in-house use of the collections. If a UMBC faculty member wants to check out books, she/he must purchase a borrowing card for $200/yr ($100/yr if a JHU alum).
Getting an RFBP Card:
Faculty can obtain an RFBP information packet, which includes an information
flyer, current list of participants, borrower's card (renewable yearly), and book return policy
slip, from a Reference Librarian.
If faculty wish, we can check the OCLC Name-Address Directory (NAD) to find
out about individual library's RFBP borrowing policies.
UMBC RFBP Circulation Policy:
- Eligibility: Valid RFBP ID card and photo ID
- Loan Period: 28 days
- Restrictions: No loans if 1 overdue recalled item or 3 items overdue 35+ days
- Overdue Items: 50 cents per day, per item; continues to $50.00 maximum per item
- Overdue Recalled Items: $4.00 per day, per item; continues to $50.00 maximum per item
- Lost Items: will include a replacement cost, a $35.00 processing fee, and any overdue fines accrued
- Non-Circulating items: Reference, AV, Serials, Special Collections, select Government Documents
Note: To borrow from UMBC, RFBP members must obtain a Special Borrower's
Card at the Circulation Desk ($15.00 charge).